Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Further reading on Gary Schwartz's 'The Sacred Promise'

I think I've gotten past the first chapter or so (hard to tell with this Kindle app), and I think that Dr. Schwartz has written an important book; not, necessarily in what he accomplishes, but in what he attempts to accomplish: nothing less than providing scientific validation of what he calls "Spirit." I'm not sure that he will succeed, mostly because of what I've called the "paranormal paradox"; and, as a former Bible scholar who sat through countless lectures in my youth attempting to "prove" the existence of God, I personally think that the bar of proof ought to be set pretty high.... because I know the dangers of a human presupposing that he speaks on behalf of God. I know what these people can do--the damage as well as the good. And there is just a slight echo of religion in Dr. Schwartz's efforts (at least so far).

But, strangely enough, I hope he does succeed, because I know that he's right. I've seen--experienced--tangible evidence of a "Spirit." I've seen this force--personality--presence--intervene at critical moments in my life, and it's happened mostly in the last five years. I've never written about it, and I've rarely discussed it. So I think that the potential is there for Dr. Schwartz to make an important statement. But I think that this evidence will work only if it's disentangled from the centuries of religious contamination, and at least three decades of New Age nonsense. It has to start new.

No comments:

Post a Comment