Sunday, June 26, 2011

Clearing my paranormal palate with a vintage Joe McMoneagle, 1998

I have been overdosing on New Agery lately. You would think that the field would have learned by now that discussion of polar shifts is *so* Twentieth Century.  And I won't reveal the website that I found that discusses, without apology, the Illuminati, the Reptilians, and 2012--with nary a hint of irony or even a gratuitous disclaimer of, "I know this sounds crazy, but..." I found this site after being favorably impressed with someone's presentation on a paranormal-themed podcast; I thought, "This person sounds interesting; I'd like to learn more." This seems to be the rule: discover what appears to be a valid and interesting experiencer, only to learn that the experiencer has completely falling off the cliff of consensus reality and is hawking yet another site promoting gold sales and Ramtha-lite. It is, in fact, THE rule. George Hansen has identified probably the chief feature of people who attempt to peddle a paranormal-themed philosophy: They're crazy. They might have sounded sane, several books ago, and their ideas might have had some basis in experiential reality, but by the time I find them (which is usually late), they're certifiable.

Which is why I'm enjoying McMoneagle's "The Ultimate Time Machine." He is very grounded, very precise, and he highlights what, to me, is the strangest aspect of the phenomenon of precognition: it's either undeniably accurate, or it's completely wrong. Which is very strange. It makes little sense. If precognition exists--or doesn't--it would make more sense for predictors to be either partly accurate most, or less than most, of the time. But not very right, or very wrong.

Sounds like a flaw in the matrix, to me.

I haven't gotten into his predictions yet. Reviewers on Amazon.com have already warned me that, so far, many of them have turned out "wrong," and I am expecting that. But they forget: If he's correct on some of them, and his predictions are not foreseeable, what he is doing defies current scientific models of what reality is, which is quite significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment