Sunday, January 10, 2010

I think I like the word "esoterica"

I heard Tim Binnall use it; I wasn't really sure it was a word, but, apparently, it is. So I'm going to start using it.

Most students of esoterica are jaded by UFOlogy because the subject seems to recede and lose focus in direct proportion to the amount of attention that we devote to it. As such, it's hard to argue that the phenomenon as a whole isn't, as Vallée and Jung argued, of terrestrial origin, arising from some powerful source that escapes our conscious perception. And those who dabble too much in UFOlogical waters find their lives cursed, relationships trashed, livelihoods ruined. About the only thing that serious researchers can agree on is that we haven't learned a damn thing more about UFOs than we already knew in, say, 1960; indeed, we may know even less. So the serious researcher can be forgiven for throwing in the towel on the whole rotten field.

Fortunately, there are other more intriguing areas of esoterica inquiry. My personal favorite is after-death communication. While most people may never see a UFO their entire lives, most will have some encounter with either a "ghost," or have some other para-physical experience with a deceased personality. It is a universal, but largely hidden, human experience.

Unfortunately, this particular "pool" has also been polluted--not by "the government," but by deliberate fraudsters and hacks who know that this is a easy way to make a living on the gullible. Sylvia Brownes are, unfortunately, the majority. It is best to assume that most self-appointed mediums, channelers, and "psychics" are phony--unless and until they can make a substantial and convincing case otherwise. As a result, some of the best research goes unheard; it's simply lost.

One case that I think is probably valid involves a Danish girl named "Janne" who, after her death at age eighteen, managed to communicate with her family by various means. What impresses me about this case is that it is, as far as I know, fairly obscure. I've visited the website several times but even though the site has been online several years, I appear to be visitor number "3031." The entire case can be read in a free e-book which anyone can download at "Janne Beyond Life." I'd be curious to read what others might think of this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment