Thursday, September 21, 2023

Thoughts on the “ integrated information theory”

The integrated information theory (IIT) of the origin of consciousness has been labeled as a pseudoscience by some for reasons unclear, though the suspicion is that the theory is wildly popular in excess of its scientific merits. The writer makes clear that IIT still insists “that consciousness has a physical basis and can be mathematically measured.”  Still, I sense between the lines that the real scientists are afraid that the IIT folks are turning mystical.

So, how should mystics, meta-physicists, and genuine pseudoscientists react to being insulted by proxy? (For now, I’ll leave UFO researchers out of this.)


During near-death experiences, where consciousness literally separates from the physical body, experiencers often notice that there is a definite demarcation between physical and non-physical consciousness. Physical consciousness is centered in time and space, while consciousness out of the body does not track time or distance. There are two almost contradictory perspectives on consciousness: Physically-oriented consciousness is self-contained, reliant on the physical body for existence, and while there is no proof that it is physically generated, it is definitely influenced by the physical. On the other hand, when the “I” vacates the body completely, the body dies. The physical body cannot be animated unless something—however you define the “I”—is installed. Science would have to measure the non-physical to discover the true root of consciousness, and I don’t know this is doable by physical people using physical instruments.

8 comments:

  1. I'd told you years ago in a comment I had interviewed Sue Watkins in 2005. I was just listening to it again, I should post this so you can hear it. It's 1 hr long, you have to use headphones to hear it but she talks about seeing a UFO when she was 15, quite fascinating actually. I did not realize she died in 2019, I found that out last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please post it. Sue Watkins was quite an interesting person in her own right. She's featured throughout "Seth, Dreams and Projections of Consciousness," which I'm re-reading for maybe the tenth time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though this blog is no longer heavily trafficked, I haven't publicly posted your comment with the link to the Google Drive file (unless you want me to). I should be able to gain access to it and I greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if you cannot access it. No don't publicly post it if you don't mind. I'm a private person in general. I am 54 now, I was 36 when I interviewed Sue so it's been a while. I can't believe you can't post audio without jumping through hoops now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started this blog in my 40s, erasing many of the early entries. I'm much older now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a great deal of the posts on here. Remember that Tom Dark guy who knew Sue? He posted on here also years ago on an entry I'd posted on also. I had no idea who he was until then. Mr. Dark died in 2013 I think? It would've been good to interview him also. I should put up a real video on my YouTube channel to talk about these type things, I just keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I well remember him. He had a blog which may still be online. I was very flattered that he took the time to read my ramblings.

      Delete
  7. Thank you very much! I will check it out soon. For the next few days I will be buried under. I've downloaded the Monroe files and have listened to a few of them. It took me several re-readings of his last two books to finally comprehend what he meant by his focus levels.

    ReplyDelete